Pages

Monday 28 April 2014

A bit of a Warbler Day

With a couple of hours to kill before I took Benji to the groom room, I just had to give Mouldon Hill another go this morning. As soon as I got out of the car a Cuckoo was calling from the fields behind me and a Lesser Whitethroat was singing in the hedgerow in front of me. In fact the whole place seem to be buzzing with bird song, with Willow Warblers, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Common Whitethroats all within 50 metres of the car park.

One of many Chiffchaff singing at the Country Park

However the idea was to have a decent walk, which would take me past the wood, down to the bottom of Thamesdown Drive and then along the canal. At the end of the canal my route was along the banks of the River Ray, past the lake, through Perton & Berriman's Wood and then back past the lake again to the car park.

The woods were alive with more warblers and in amongst them were Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Great Tit and Blue Tits singing. The path eventually took me down to the main road and over the canal.

The start of the canal

As I walked along the tow-path, I found a gap in the hedgerow on my left and decided to follow the track along side the scrubland. There were a few bushes on my left and as I passed them into open ground I could hear a Grasshopper Warbler reeling away up ahead. But as I walked slowly towards the patch he was singing from, I realised I was being watched by a stag Roe Deer. He was standing about 20 metres away and didn't move an inch. I managed a couple of photos before I left him still standing like a statue.

A stag Roe Deer stares me out

There were a few more bushes on my left which were giving me great cover as I approached the Grasshopper Warbler. The thing about these warblers is that they have the ability to throw there voice in different directions, as they move their head from side to side, making it difficult to pinpoint them accurately. However this one was very easy to find. As I reached the last bush, before open ground again, I could see it through the branches, sitting high up on a Hawthorn Bush. I managed a few shots, but was I a bit annoyed as there was a small branch right in front of it, which didn't help me a get good clear photo. But hey I'm not complaining, there it was just 30ft away singing away, before it flew off to another bush.

A Grasshopper Warbler

And this is the habitat the Grasshopper Warbler was singing in

All along this stretch of open land there were Sedge Warblers, Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat,  Willow Warblers, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and even a Garden Warbler. It was definitely wall to wall warblers and as I approached the River Ray, another Grasshopper Warbler was reeling away, with a Green Woodpecker drumming behind it. It was a shame they weren't in harmony with each other, it would have made for a good musical score.

Sedge Warbler

From this point onwards it was back up onto the tow-path and another 100 metre walk before the canal stops. As I walked along here there were many more Sedge Warblers on both sides of the canal, as well as Common Whitethroats. Before I'd walked more than 20 metres a Cuckoo starting calling from a tree above the river. Was this the same bird as the one at the car park, in fact it was. I watched it for 5 minutes or so and then it flew off back to the lake and later as I found to the field behind it.

And another Sedge Warbler singing from a Hawthorn Bush

Sedge Warbler Singing

From the canal down to the lake it was quite clear to see that the river was slightly higher than normal, which probably not that surprising, considering the heavy rain we'd had in the past few days. A Little Grebe was drifting along the main flow and disappeared very quickly under the water when he saw me. I have no idea where it popped up, but I never saw it again. I wonder if it was the one I saw on the lake the other day!

I followed the river down to the bridge and crossed over. I could now hear the Cuckoo again, so decided to see if I could relocate. I headed off to Purton & Berriman's Wood, in the hope that I might find it close by. What I did find was knee deep mud and water, its a right boggy wood. Fortunately I was wearing boots, though Benji could have done with a set. A Willow Warbler was singing from the same location, that I'd heard one singing from a week or so back. So quite possibly the same bird. There were also a pair of Chiffchaffs, with one which I presume was the female, collecting nesting material.

Purton & Berriman's Wood

The Cuckoo was quite close, but I still couldn't see it, so it was through the wood and back over the bridge towards the car park. As I passed the reed bed in the lake there were 2 Reed Warblers singing away. Instead of going through the car park gate, I took the old railway track which eventually runs parallel to Thamesdown Drive. I'm guessing any remaining track stops short of Redhill, which is just a little further on.

The old railway line

As I walked along the old track I could hear that the Cuckoo was very close. Try as I could though, I just couldn't see it. So it was out with the binoculars, scanning all the tall trees without success and then I saw it. It was perched in the middle of a small Hawthorn Bush, just 80 metres away in the field. It called a few more times and then flew across the field before diving down into the grass. Within seconds it was back up and flying off to another bush, with a huge caterpillar dangling from its beak. A quick look with the binoculars revealed the caterpillar of the Cinnabar Moth, being devoured by the Cuckoo.

Cuckoo

Cuckoo

Take off

With a nice juicy Cinnabar Moth larvae for lunch

I just love watching and listening to Cuckoos, especially the female with her bubbling call. Feeling quite pleased with myself I headed off back to the car and as I did so a Lesser Whitethroat began singing from the hedge on my right. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it, but I was met by a scolding Common Whitethroat just by the car park gate and a single Swallow flying over my head. What a great walk that was 9 different species of warbler and a Cuckoo. It can't get much better than that, can it!

Common Whitethroat

Bird Species seen and heard today: 1 Little Grebe, pair Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, 1 Cuckoo, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Swallow, 2 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 2 Song Thrush, 2 Mistle Thrush, 2 Grasshopper Warbler, 2 Reed Warbler, 12+ Sedge Warbler, 1 Garden Warbler, 15+ Common Whitethroat, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 14+ Blackcap, 21+ Chiffchaff, 6 Willow Warbler, 2 Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, 6 Bullfinch and 1 Reed Bunting. Also seen a stag Roe Deer and 3 Rabbits.

Today's Photos Here