Pages

Wednesday 26 November 2014

What Great Timing

Another flying visit to Liden Lagoon this lunchtime and as I arrived there were a few Black-headed Gulls on the water and 3 Herring Gulls. One of the Herring Gulls was quite close to the north bank and was distinctly different than the two further down the lagoon. It was a very clean bird, without the dark narrow streaks associated with a bird in winter plumage and further to that its head shape was different as well, being a bit bigger and less rounded than that of the two other Herring Gulls. As soon as I walked down to the anglers pontoon, it took off to reveal yellow-legs, which in the back of my mind was what I thought it would be, a Yellow-legged Gull. But it was so frustrating, its flight path took it over the trees to my right and it headed off towards the Dorcan Royal Mail Sorting Office. With my binoculars I followed it and hoped it would turn and double back to the Lagoon, but instead it just carried on heading north. maybe to roost at the Cotswold Water Park!

Alas not the Yellow-legged Gull, that flew off before I could get the camera out. This 3rd Winter Herring Gull and his mate on the other hand, weren't easily put off by my presence at the Lagoon.

What a cracking start for what was only going to be a quick walk around the lagoon. I just love Yellow-legged Gulls and this one was quite special as it was my first for Wiltshire. In Shropshire on my old patch at Priorslee Lake, Telford I used to get one or two daily in the winter and the occasional Caspian Gull. But this one is definitely one I shall remember.

I was still buzzing even when I got back to car, but I did have other highlights with a Little Grebe, the first I've seen here for quite awhile. There were also a couple of Cormorants and a Grey Heron. Surprisingly there wasn't a single Canada Goose to be seen, you're always guaranteed at least a couple, but not today. The 3 juvenile Mute Swans are doing well and were following mum around the water.

Hidden in amongst the submerged branches a Little Grebe keeps a low profile.

Like a prehistoric bird this Cormorant flew in to join his mate on the water.

Diving continuously in the shallows, I could track exactly where he was going to pop up, by following the bubbles exploding on the surface.

Mum leads the juveniles around the lagoon. I wonder if she will persuade them to leave or wait until another cob arrives and sees them off.

Tufted Duck numbered around 26, but the Goosander from a few days ago have moved on. Overhead 3 Redwing called and a Sparrowhawk flashed through. In the hawthorn bushes there were up to 4 Blackbirds and 2 Song Thrushes making short work of the berries. A very vocal Goldcrest was "calling" at a feverish pace as it was feeding. In doing so it attracted a couple of pairs of Great Tits and Blue Tits, who all came down to see what all the noise was about. Once he got his crowd, he stopped. It does beg the question; was he calling other birds to join him so that they could feed in a flock. Safety in numbers!

A few of the drake Tufted Ducks present today.

And one of the two Grey Squirrels I came across this lunchtime

Birds Recorded: 1 Little Grebe, 2 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, 4 Mute Swan (1 adult + 3 juv), No Canada Geese, Mallard, 26+ Tufted Duck, 1 Sparrowhawk, 19 Moorhen, 15 Coot, 43 Black-headed Gull, 2 Herring Gull, 1 Yellow-legged Gull, Wood Pigeon, 2 Collared Dove, 1 Pied Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 4 Blackbird, 3 Redwing, 2 Song Thrush, 2 Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, 2 Jackdaw, 11 Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Also 2 Grey Squirrels